Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Subway Style

This is a quick preview of our backsplash. About 75% of it is up. We still have one more wall to do and all the grouting. Unfortunately, I was sick in bed most of the weekend and Donnie, being the sweet guy he is, worked on the tile while wrangling the girls.

We went with traditional subway tile, but in a non-traditional color. We went with Daltile’s Elemental Tan. It is halfway between gray and brown……aka taupe.

I wanted to stay neutral this time around so that I wasn’t tied to a particular color scheme. We plan on dying in this house, so I wanted to keep our options open.

I snapped this on the way out the door this morning. I think I want to put some open shelving here. I’m thinking I want to use the same corbels as we used under the countertop. The grout is going to be a bright white for contrast.

2013-02-12_07-44-33_892

Here’s where the range hood is going. We are tossing around the idea of putting a pot filling faucet behind the cook top. We’ll see. I think I’ll decide once the hood is up.

2013-02-12_07-43-56_951

We did have a slight snafu on Sunday night. As Donnie was finishing up, one of the tiles fell and cracked the glass cook top. Obviously this stinks, but we’ll take it in stride. The crack affects 3 of the burners, but we still have 2 we can use. Since we aren’t gourmet chefs, we can deal with it for awhile.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love the color of the tile! It is a perfect complement to the white cabinets and really gives the kitchen a warm, airy feel! Shelves with the same corbels sound awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tile is AWESOME! I agree with the neutral that way you can add
    splashes of color and change them when you get bored.
    That is why my house is so plain and neutral...just never added the color! HA! It is coming out GREAT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! Sorry about the stove - you guys have worked so hard to make it perfect.

    ReplyDelete